New/Mode users can now use custom spreadsheets to provide New/Mode tools with both target contact information and “lookup values” that can be used by supporters to search on live forms for their personalized targets.
You may have had opportunity to use our existing “custom targets” to define additional targets on tools that are presented either by themselves or in conjunction with geo-located (zip code or address-driven) representative targets.
This new supercharged targeting feature sits on top of this awesomeness many of you have already used.
Here are some few examples of what you can do with our new targeting feature.
Imagine empowering your community to:
- click one button to lookup and contact the board of governors of their local universities or colleges to ask them to divest their endowments from fossil fuels.
- email, call or tweet their local Sheriff’s office or Police Commissioner to remind them that Black Lives Matter.
- immediately connect with a retail chain’s local stores during a lockout and inform them of a boycott until they get back to the bargaining table.
- Create a Google Sheet with name and contact information for the targets you would like your supporters to contact. You can use this Google Sheet Template - make a copy and save it to your google drive.
- Add additional columns for lookup values that your supporters can search to targets most relevant to them. For example, 'institution_name' is a no-brainer if you are targeting a the deans of universities — many of your supporters may be alumni of a particular institution, so they should be able to search it on your form and return the contact information for that president. 'City' might be another — perhaps a supporter lives in Berkeley, and would like to connect with the dean of the University of California.
You can define as many lookup columns as you would like to make it as easy as possible for your supporters to connect with the most relevant targets to them. It is important to note that you need to have 'full_name', you'll need to have at least one form of contact information - 'phone', 'fax', 'twitter', or 'email' -, and you'll need to have 'jurisdiction' as it helps the tool differentiate between targets that have the same names in your custom data.
- Publish your custom target spreadsheet to the web as a CSV, then copy the link and paste into your New/Mode Tool.
- You simply link your spreadsheet to your New/Mode form with the URL, and add a prompt for supporters to search via the lookup values for their personalized contact.
Linking Your Spreadsheet
Follow the instructions below to link your custom spreadsheet to your tool. (See Gif)
- Create a brand new tool
- Select All target Types or Custom Targets
- Under Custom Targets, select Import From CSV from the dropdown.
- Copy and paste the published URL into the provided text box
- Click Save
Display all results - This will give supporters access to all targets in your spreadsheet and make them all